300 gm Plain flour, sifted
200 gm salted butter
2-3 tablespoon cold water
2 tablespoon icing Sugar
4 Eggs, beaten
140 gm Caster sugar
150 gm Evaporated milk
260 gm Lukewarm water, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, a pinch of salt
Method for making egg filling
Dissolve sugar in the lukewarm water.
Add evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt into the sugar mixture. Stir till even.
Strain the mixture and keep in the refrigerator (don’t freeze) for 30 minutes
Method for making pastry
Rub butter into plain flour until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
Add icing sugar and just enough water to form a dough.
Roll out the dough and cut into round shapes, large enough to fit into the tart moulds.
Place the cut dough into tart moulds and pour egg filling into each mould until nearly full.
Bake at 160°-170°C for 30-40 minutes.
Banana Fritters – Kodok Pisang
- 6 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt (optional)
In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add sugar, butter, salt and mix in until smooth. Add the flour and stir. I just used a wooden spoon. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Carefully place spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Flip the fritter and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat the process until all the batter is used up. Drain on paper towels until ready to serve.
Traditional Malay Corn Cake – Bingka Jagung/Bengkang Jagung
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup custard powder
- 1 can cream style golden sweet corn
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspooon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch cake pan and set it aside.
- In a blender, whirl the flour, custard powder with the water, coconut milk, and vanilla. Process until the batter mixture smooth. Set the batter mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and salt, beat 30 seconds. Add the batter mixture and cream corn, beat just to mix everything together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let the cake cool.